Sunday 4 May 2014

Toilet Graffiti

With it being bank holiday, the Nicholas and I (since I've still not come up with an alternative name for him, yet) went out for a lovely stroll around Regent's Park and then out to dinner. As I went to the washrooms at this certain proprietors, I noticed the graffiti in toilet cubicle.

For example:
'Justin 4 Vera 4eva'

It got me thinking, mainly about who on EARTH declares their love for someone on a toilet cubicle door and, perhaps more importantly, who is impressed with this declaration? If anyone declared their love for me on the inside of a toilet door, it'd place me somewhere at the completely opposite town to Impressed, further away than the hamlet of Unimpressed, even if it had a perfect metre and immaculate metaphors. 

I found this example on google, where someone has obviously gone back and amended their previous toilet love declaration, as if the main preoccupation of the broken heart is to keep the toilet door as an up-to-date chronicle of love.

Another question frequently asked about this phenomenon is: who goes to the toilet with marker pens? In fact, who leaves the house with marker pens 'accidentally'? I am a person who at any one time has at least five pens in any bag I'm carrying (perhaps this is an editorial trait), so I think I'd be someone who is most likely to carry a marker pen into the toilet, but the pens in my bags are never marker pens and I have never graffitied a toilet door. (I've always been a goody-two-shoes.) So, do people buy pens and go out with the forethought and intention to graffiti toilet doors? Are there toilet door graffiti addicts who are constantly slipping away from their friends' conversations in the pub to fulfil their need to write something poetic in the bathroom? 

I'm not even going to get started on the toilet door grammar. Perhaps another post for another day, as Mum always told me, correcting people's grammar is not a way to win friends or readers. (But has been beneficial for me career wise.)

Then again, graffiti is as old as time and if it is done well for comedy reasons, you can't help but appreciate it. My personal favourites:


No comments:

Post a Comment