Tuesday 20 May 2014

Talking with my hands . . .

I was in the middle of an interview, mid-hyperbolic attempt to convince my interviewers just how employable I am, that I noticed my hands waving about as I spoke.

At first, they were just the backing dancers to what I was saying; emphasising and illustrating my speech. I've long known that I'm a gesture-dramatic speaker. However, as I begun to notice them, the larger the hand gestures appeared to become, until I became convinced that my hands were actually attempting to steal the show; like they thought they something better to say than my voice (which at the time was probably correct).

Then I remembered about alien hand syndrome from an episode of House and wondered if my subconscious could divide itself in two during times of  the stress perhaps caused by an interview you fear might not be going well. What if my hand, on its own accord, started stealing sweets and sneaking them into my bags as I paid for my groceries? I might get away with it once, but then full of bravado, my hand might get cocky and start stealing bigger things and lead an unsuspecting me onto a path that ends in arrest and a criminal record. It'd be harder in an interview to convince companies of my employability then.

It was very distracting, more than the usual internal monologue through which I narrate my life. At one point I did attempt to sit on one of my hands, to lessen the hand flailing by half, but I stopped that after awhile for fear I looked like a complete mad woman. So, I continued my interview hoping that my hands would just portray my passion and excitement for life.

In light of this experience, I've been reading up on hand gestures, although it was hardly enlightening. "Hand gestures are used by those who struggle to express themselves due to a limited vocabulary." I don't think this applies to me...
"Hand gestures reveal what is unsaid." Worrying.
"Hand gestures make you seem more friendly and approachable." Especially when you have open arms and are beckoning strangers in for a hug.
"Hand gestures are a sign of intelligence." Finally, an approach I can get on board with!

Hopefully, my flailing appendages won't count against me. Perhaps I'm secretly Italian?





No comments:

Post a Comment