Monday 12 June 2017

I wrote to my local MP . . .

. . . about my concerns about the pending 'supply and demand' agreement between the Conservatives and DUP.
I'm not trying to force my political views onto anyone, everyone has their right to their own views, as well as being free to express them. I just didn't realise until the recent social media exposure that you could email your local MP with your concerns – and I wanted to help raise the awareness that this is a channel that's open to everyone.

Engagement with politics isn't something that should be limited to election day (although this is becoming a pretty frequent occurrence in this country at the moment!).

Here is my letter to Tulip Saddiq, I am posting my letter below, as it's an issue I feel strongly about,

Hello Ms Siddiq,

I hope this email finds you well. Congratulations on your re-election to office.

My name is Gemma Lowe, and I have lived in Kilburn for the past 4 years, I am a children’s book editor and writer. I voted for you in the recent election, and it was the first time I had voted Labour. There was a number of reasons that informed the swing of my vote away from the Conservatives, but the main reason was that I had read quite a bit about you, your work as the MP for Hampstead and Kilburn since 2015, and the occasions you have spoken out and stood up for your belief in contrary to your party – I was grateful to have the opportunity to vote for a politician who stands up for their beliefs and convictions, so I thought I’d take the opportunity when it presented itself.

I have been inspired to write to you following the recent letter template that has been shared on social media about contacting your MP with an objection to the Conservatives ‘supply and demand’ agreement with the DUP. I believe this letter template was mainly aimed for people to send to their Tory MPs, but I didn’t think this should stop me from voicing my concerns to my elected representative. I am unsure what exactly you’ll be able to do about this situation as a Labour MP, but this seemed to me to be the sort of concern that someone should express to their local MP. So, here I am, writing to you to express my horror and concern about the pending agreement with DUP. 

The manifesto and values of the DUP is so contrary to the values I believe this country should be proud of putting into place, and ones that we should continue to actively pursue and strengthen – I am referring mainly to reproductive rights and pro-LGBTQ+ legislation, but also to their stances on the death penalty and education.

I realise that the recent election has thrown our country and its political system into a loop, and there doesn’t seem to be an easy solution, but I am absolutely dumbfounded and appalled that the Conservatives would put this country into disarray for the third time in as many years just to cling to power by partnering with a party with such extreme and damaging views. It is a move that seems to be for the good of the party only and not for the good of our country. What kind of message does a partnership like this send to the EU as we’re about the begin Brexit negotiations? 

The quote ‘The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing’ springs to my mind frequently at the moment, as it seems that intolerance is growing everywhere. I don’t want to be the sort of person who gets angry and frustrated whilst ‘putting the world to rights’ at family dinners or at the pub with friends, but doesn’t take the time and energy to do something positive about it. I want to do something so that I can contribute in my own small part to stand against this – I hope this email forms a part of that action. I’m sure this is a concern for many other people in your constituency, as well as across the country. If the recent election has taught us anything positive, I believe it is the invigoration of the belief that the single vote and the voice of the individual does make a difference. 

The community of West Hampstead has recently seen the resignation of Andrew Foreshew-Cain for reasons of intolerance within the Church of England. Although I am an atheist, I always considered that the local area was lucky to have such a positive influence of love and tolerance. I read about the times that the rainbow flag that was put up outside the church was torn down and found this heart-breaking. 

People’s individual politics are their own concerns and their democratic right to express, but I strongly believe that everyone, regardless of gender, age, religion, lifestyle choice or culture, just wants to live in an inclusive and loving society. I have concerns that the ‘agreement’ the Conservatives may get into with the DUP might send us into an intolerance downward spiral, and set our society back hundreds of years – and I want to speak out against this. I imagine you might have received similar points of view and letters from your other constituents, and I am optimistic that this letter is just an addition to the many.

Thank you for taking the time to read my email,

Gemma Lowe


No comments:

Post a Comment